Monday, April 8, 2013

DAD: A UNIVERSAL WORD

DAD: A UNIVERSAL WORD
Author Daneille Gray Snowden is the co-founder of Hope for the Generations. This is an article published on her blog: http://snowdenwiththefam-daneille.blogspot.com/.
 
Daneille with her daddy-Rev. Paul F. Gray


 
No kidding! Dad is a true universal word used all over the world! Who is to blame? Babies! It is one of the very first words (some say sounds) that babel out of the mouth of a little nipper. Easiest for their tiny chops to form; eventually the word; dad came to be what we use for father.
  
Toddler Felecia Mary Snowden with Daddy.
   The word for our Heavenly Father God; is more than just universal; but omnipresent (everywhere), omniscient (all knowing) and of course all powerful. Father to those who have called Him God and His Son Jesus as Savior. In 1670-80, the word dad was considered an euphemism for God (substituting a mild, indirect, or vague term). Simply put= Daddy is in a child's life to lead them in all what he does and says to the Heavenly Father.

 
Considering that da-da (dad) is used all over this world; common sense (not sure if that exist   in abundance too much anymore) would say a father (dad) is the norm God had planned within a family; for the entire human race. Yet, "the United States leads the world in fatherless families,Alisa Burns and Cath Scott, Mother-Headed Families and Why They Have Increased (Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum and Associates, 1994), p. xiii." "Roughly 24 million children (or 34 percent of all kids in the United States) living in homes where the father does not reside." (Jim Daley) http://www.focusonthefamily.com/about_us/profiles/jim_daly/messages/200601-the-fatherless-family.aspx     
Tabby & Daddy on one Easter Morn.
Can you remember when each of your children said; "Da da?" I can recall how my husband, Brad 'lit-up' hearing it. We were blessed being full time in the pastorate, where da da was around the kiddos for a great amount of the time. Security was never an issue! Their daddy was and for the most part still is around to provide, protect and love. I in turn grew up the same way most of my childhood. I cannot remember when my dad was never there for me. Thank God! I know how blessed I was, I also know today how it helped formed me into what I am today for my own children and others.
Brad and I do get compliments about our children. Their behavior, sweet spirit and how obedient and helpful they are. I must attribute a great deal of this to the fact they have a wonderful, godly father. The kids see his many strengths and his weaknesses, making them love him all the more. One thing that is vital in their lives and was in mine was the fact that no matter how bad we were, how hard we didn't work - daddy still loved us!  
The Bible tells us in the commandments in Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and mother for the days shall be long upon the land God has given you." [First commandment with a promise] The Dictionary defines the word “honor” in the following way: “to regard or treat with honor or respect; to confer honor on.” Let us just dive a bit deeper and get the hard core facts on what our Father God was instructing us all to do as He carved these laws on stone.
  
Daneille's Wedding Day
Daddy not only gave her away but
performed the wedding.
 
This Hebrew word is complex; quite difficult for us to re evaluate in our minute minds.

The Hebrew dictionary says it means “to be heavy, be weighty, be grievous, be hard, be rich, be honorable, be glorious, be burdensome, be honoured.” I like how this author compared the term; "Like a huge boulder in the road, it is something we must make allowance for; Like a heavy weight, it is pressing upon our thoughts; Like something glorious, we have a sense of awe or reverence for the person or thing." (Ole Suit) [http://olsuit.wordpress.com/2009/04/12/the-meaning-of-honor/
Handsome daddy counselling
daughter. (Daneille)

 
Felecia Mary's Dedication
Grandpa dedicating and father
Brad cherishing.
 I want to honor my darling husband who was raised by some pretty amazing parents (Ned & Mary Snowden) and my father Rev. Paul F. Gray. It is like a heavy weight that is pressing on my thoughts that does fill my heart with a "sense of awe" and of course reverence. All I have experienced in my own life is sacrifice from these men. Both could have been famous, rich and well known in the fields of their expertise. But, they 'fell in love' with their Saviour (Jesus) and forsook all to follow Him. In so doing, they (Brad and my dad) took us all along a path that has been quite adventurous, fun (sometimes), sad and very educational. I honor YOU! I love you and I thank you. May God fill you and all Father's who have taken this path of serving Christ and as you do serving your family; I bid you all;  God's Blessings!
He deserves a break today
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate hearing from you and if you need guidance and prayer feel free to send a message here or an email
[No spam please.]